I may be devoting most of my blog to the mystery and vagaries of why and how Donald Trump was elected AND why he should be removed – BUT Ice Cream supersedes most everything and when I saw this post, I knew I had to share it. And you can probably expect more soon!
Posted in I Scream For Ice Cream, Uncategorized | 1 Comment »
Over the years, our country has had its share of great orators; Men who could inspire us with encouraging words, enlighten us with words of wisdom, inform us with clarity, share their vision of a future or soothe a troubled nation with intelligent reason.
The history books, (or at least when I was growing up we had History books in school Geography too) and we learned about Lincoln’s great Gettysburg Address, Patrick Henry’s “Give me liberty or give me death” speech, and FDR’s first Fireside address. Greatness continued though the decades with Ronald Reagan’s Brandenburg Gate speech, in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “The only thing we have to fear…” inaugural address, John F. Kennedy’s “Ask not what your country can do…” speech, Lyndon B. Johnson’s Voting Rights speech in 1965, Dwight Eisenhower’s Military Industrial Complex speech in 1961 and Obama’s Race speech, “A more perfect union”.
That’s My Story and I’m Sticking to It
“…I went to an Ivy League school. I’m highly educated. I know words. I have the best words, I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid. Right?”
But now we find ourselves led by a man of few words or How To Speak Solely In Superlatives. Although brevity is often hailed and long-winded monologues not widely appreciated, consider the current state of presidential pronouncements. Pronouncements may too generous a description for the 140 characters tweeted on an irregular basis by POTUS. The following list features words MOST USED by Donald Trump.
AMAZING – TERRIFIC – TREMENDOUS – BEST – WINNING – STUPID – WEAK – LOSER – WE- THEY – MORON – SMART – TOUGH – DANGEROUS – BAD – LIGHTWEIGHT – HUGE- ZERO – CLASSY – BIG LEAGUE
Posted in BY THE WAY | Tagged best words, Dwight Eisenhower, famous speakers, FDR, History, JFK, Obama, orators, Patrick Henry, speeches, superlatives, Trump, words of wisdom | Leave a Comment »
That horrid mean-spirited chant was ever-present at every Trump rally during the painfully long campaign. Often it was followed by certain attendees who added hateful calls of “F…k the beaners”. I, as well as millions of other citizens were horrified by this blatant display of bigotry and ignorance. But it continued all throughout the months leading up to November and continues to be advocated by Mr. Trump, although not quite as often because now that he is in the oval office, he finds he has MANY MORE ISSUES TO DEAL WITH.
To further add insult to injury, campaign Trump insisted the wall would be built and that Mexico would pay for it. That arrogant remark provoked vehement denials by Mexico’s president, Enrico Peña Nieto. This unfortunate exchange has only served to damage our relations with our southern neighbor.
Illegal immigration is definitely an illegal act in my mind, just as any other illegal action. However, we do have a wall on many parts of the border, we do have border patrols AND we must take into consideration WHY are people trying to escape. I am speaking ONLY about families, women and children either trying to extricate themselves from abject poverty or to join family members already in residence in the United States. Drug dealers for the most part use many other undetectable means by which to import drugs into our country. There are tunnels that open up in San Diego, there are bundles that wash up on Florida shores. There is BIG $$$ in drugs and no matter how tall, how big or how beautiful the wall is, the drugs will continue to flow because like any other product it really is all about SUPPLY AND DEMAND. So look to our own, we are the consumers!
But enough about the philosophy and justification of The Wall – this is really about THE LIE that so many voters swallowed! Guess what? MEXICO IS NOT GOING TO PAY $21 BILLION DOLLARS FOR THE WALL. My God, $21 Billion dollars could cure cancer, feed hungry children in Appalachia, educate every child in the country and probably send them to college too. Can you even wrap your head around $21 BILLION DOLLARS?
Don’t take my word for it……………………
Posted in BY THE WAY, HWSNBN (A Political State of Mind) | Tagged $21Billion, Beaners, big wall, Donald Trump, drug war, Enrico Pena Nieto, Homeland Security, HWSNBN (A Political State of Mind), illegal immigrants, Mexico, Mitch McConnell, smuggle drugs, THE WALL, Trump | Leave a Comment »
Although I practically took an oath not listen to or watch any of Donald Trump’s speeches, I broke my own promise last night. For an hour I sat and watched and listened to the presentation to the Congress. It’s true, he did sound like a politician finally BUT I thought that the people who voted for him believed he was NOT a politician, but rather an outsider he was going to drain the swamp.
There were LOTS of promises last night and as the bill-payer in this household, all I kept thinking was ‘I must be too old for the new math’! If he makes deep cuts into the corporate tax and cuts taxes for the middle class and lowers the insurance rates and tells the hospitals to charge less for drugs and services, builds new bridges, repairs roads and airports …WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR ALL THIS?
The first 30 or so days since his inauguration have been to say the least chaotic. There were firings, leaks, tweets and turmoil – “SO SAD”. But hey you gotta laugh sometime or you’ll cry so for your pleasure and mine and for those of you who were too tired last night to watch Stephen Colbert, here he is doing a live show post the speech to the Congress.
Posted in BY THE WAY, HWSNBN (A Political State of Mind) | Tagged congress, Donald Trump, drain the swamp, Dump Trump, infrastructure, laugh, SAD, Stephen Colbert, Tremendous | Leave a Comment »
WHO SHOULD WE FEAR??
“We must keep our country safe”, says Donald Trump at a campaign-style rally in Florida yesterday. BUT HOW??? That’s really the question we all need to ponder. It’s best to look at the facts, the statistics and then make a rational decision as to who or what you really need to fear. Here are the FACTS:
Falling Off A Ladder Is Not Fun
- MEXICAN DRUG DEALERS, MURDERERS AND RAPISTS: That sounds quite ominous, however, that statement wasn’t backed up with any facts or statistics. I have a cottage on the Jersey Shore in an area heavily populated with Mexicans. I see them carrying vacuum cleaners and buckets into homes they are cleaning. I see them bussing tables at all of the restaurants all over the shore. And at 5:00pm when they are finished working and the beach is free, I see whole families walking to the beach past my porch. So I for one, am not going to put Mexicans, illegal or otherwise, on my fear list. NO FEAR
- TERRORISM: Isis is a heinous organization. Are most of their members Muslim? Yes! Do all Muslims belong to Isis? No! I am very concerned about our national security and especially my own since I live in New York City which is, a) the Financial Capital of the world, b) a coastal city, and c) densely populated. BUT here are some interesting points;
- Between 1975-2015, terrorists born in the 7 countries designated by the Trump Ban have killed ZERO people. Yes, ZERO according the to Cato Institute.* NO FEAR
- GUNS: In the same period, GUNS killed 1,340,000 people including murders, suicides and accidents.* 1.34M that’s a lot of people! A whole lot of people! FEAR
- It’s TRUE that MUSLIM AMERICANS both born in the U.S. and immigrants from countries other than those subject to the Trump travel ban, have carried out deadly terrorism in America. There has been 123 such murders since the 9/11 attack and 230,000 other murders.* NO FEAR
- Last year Americans were less likely to be killed by Muslim terrorists than being one. That risk is approximately one in a million! * NO FEAR
- LADDERS, STAIRS, BATHTUBS AND LIGHTNING kill more Americans than Muslim terrorists. FEAR
- HUSBANDS: are scary because in America, they can have guns. In other countries, brutal husbands put wives in the hospital. In America, they put them in the grave.* FEAR
- “I will get rid of GUN-FREE ZONES ON SCHOOLS”, Trump said last year. “My first day, it gets signed, OK, my first day.”* He hasn’t yet…. FEAR
- The House of Representatives voted last month to end the restriction on people with severe psychiatric disorders buying guns.* FEAR
- SILENCERS: “It’s about hearing protection,” Donald Jr. (Trump) explained in a video made for SilencerCo. , A Utah company that makes silencers. “It’s a health issue, frankly.”*… FEAR
In this case Silence is NOT Golden
**Information derived and quoted from the New York Times article by Nicholas Kristof.
The only fear we have to fear is fear itself.
Posted in BY THE WAY | Tagged Cato Institute, gun-free school zone, guns, Husbands, ladders, Mexican drug dealers, Mexican rapists, Muslim terrorist, silencers | Leave a Comment »